Sunday, June 13, 2010

Exam ordeal

28 May (Fri), early morning: Last day of class. Can't believe I've made it this far. What comes next is nothing short of living my worst nightmare.
28 May (Fri), end of the day: Study week officially starts. Time to recap a semester worth of knowledge!

31 May (Mon): Followed sister to her uni, Curtin and docked myself at Robertson Library (was the first and last time I went there...don't get me wrong, the library was great. Just prefer to stay home.)

4 June (Fri): Feeling sick in the stomach. It's already Friday and I honestly don't know how I'm doing.

6 June 2010 (Sun): Was quietly (but a bit frantically) studying for tomorrow's paper when I hear my sister gave a shriek. She was on the way to the loo and something set her off. Ran over and saw the 'situation'. My first encounter with a cockroach since I came here! Didn't think there were any of those little buggers running around on this side of the world. Anyway, the sight sent me and my sister into absolute chaos (she needed to go pee and the cockroach is just scuttling around the bathroom-eee!).
Me: Quick! Spray it!
Sister: But we don't have any insect spray!
Me: O! O! What about (perhaps the non too intelligent side of me was suggesting this) the Glen spray? (Glen is a...shall we say air freshener?)Sister: Glen spray? Will that work (in a very skeptical and dubious voice)?
Me: I don't know! Since we don't have any other spray...
And guess what we did? We sprayed it with Glen (which did absolutely nothing but oh well...) and sis covered it under a container where it stayed for the next 4 days or so till it was nothing but a lifeless skeleton, life sucked out of it. Makes it sound terrible really AND I wasn't too pleased with the prospect of 'committing murder' the night before my exam but as sister pointed out, cockroaches are after all house pest. May you rest in peace, tiny, scuttling house pest.7 June (Mon): Sister drove me to uni (it's a public holiday but UWA is after all famously known for and I quote one of my lecturers, "As you might already notice by now, the university doesn't have much respect for public holidays" may it be Labor Day, the carried forward from a Sunday Anzac Day holiday, or Foundation Day-which falls today. Luckily we got the Easter holiday. Other times we trudged our way to uni while everyone else slumber on at home. That sucks a tiny bit (who am I kidding?! A lot bit!) mostly because public transport doesn't run as often on a public holiday). Sat for my first paper, GENG1001: Introduction To Engineering Mechanics (9 am-12.10 pm, Winthrop Hall).
After my exam, went to the Mathematics building to pick up my MATH1020 second calculus test paper. There was already another guy there looking for his paper. There were no order in which the papers were arranged and trying to find your paper among the other 600 students' is no easy task. In my frustration of trying to find my paper, I saw that all the stacks there were for MATH2010. Then I got very confused. Suddenly I couldn't even remember what was my unit called. Was it MATH2010? I'm pretty sure that it's MATH1020. Or is it? So I stood there trying to remember my unit (hey, I did just finish a 3 hours 10 minutes exam paper and had I been thinking clearly I should know all first year units starts with the digit 1, 2 being for second year generally) and finally remembered that my unit's counterpart (the one that it's always being compared to) is MATH1010 so I knew mine has to be 1020. Just to be sure I asked the guy whether MATH1020 and MATH2010 were the same thing and he said don't think so. All I could see were the 2010 papers! Where then is my test paper?!! After rifling through some stacks (I could see that this MATH2010 test papers had the EXACT same question as my test) the guy suddenly turned to me and said...and I didn't hear him at first, made him repeat it again, still didn't caught what he said which made me reply, "Yeah. But I'm taking MATH1020 and everything here is 2010!" And so he said (again), 2010 is our year! OH! That's right!!! How very, very silly of me. Found my paper (miraculously) not long after, thanked the guy, whose name is John btw, and headed back home.

8 June (Tue): 2nd paper, PHYS1101: Advanced Physics A (2-4.10 pm, Winthrop Hall).

9 June (Wed): 3rd paper, MATH1020: Calculus, Statistics and Probability (2-4.10 pm, Physical and Recreation Centre). This exam venue caused a bit of a confusion for me, having never been here for an exam I cannot even remotely imagine where in a recreation centre would they have a place big enough to sit around 400 students. Turns out they converted the basketball court (they carpeted it as well) into an examination hall. Impressive!

10,11 June (Thu, Fri): Final revision for my last paper, a paper which has never been one of my strongest point.

12 June (Sat): [Can't believe I have a paper on a Saturday!] Final paper, GENG1002: Introduction to Electrical and Electronic Engineering (9 am-12.10 pm, Winthrop Hall).

And so it ended. End of exams, end of the semester, end of another ordeal.

Winthrop Hall (Had 3 out of my 4 exam papers here)

Students walking out of the exam hall after our final paper

Final glance at UWA before heading back. A 42 days winter break straight ahead. Boy, that was a long 4 months!

4 comments:

  1. I laughed when reading this blog...never cross in my mind that 2 "cockroach" freak will stays together and will came out with 'brilliant' idea how to get rid of the 'cockroach' ....haha...2010 is that your real paper...LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sister said it was funny as well when she read this:)

    ...The first thing I saw when I entered the room was MATH 2010 written on the box which immediately made me think that it was filled with MATH2010 papers (the unit doesn't exist btw) and peering inside the two things my brain processed were MATH and 2010. What it actually said was: M1020 Written Calculus Test 2 Semester 1, 2010. Somehow though, all I saw was MATH and 2010. Oh dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi siearra,long time not hear.so,are you at malaysia now??what's your winter plan?wow..u finishes the earliest,well,since u were the 1st to be here then no wonder:) congratez for finishing the 1st sem successfully.ah,wish me luck for my upcoming exams this wed,thurs and friday:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Bella. I hope all is well over there in Brisbane.

    I'm staying put in Australia. No winter plans per se but we'll see how it goes.

    True. I was the first one here:) Also, my uni hardly took any of the public holidays off...we forged on like a bullet train. Definitely one of the firsts to start our exams and among the firsts to finish. My sister is starting her exams this week as well (as most of you are).

    Good luck! Like always, you'll do just fine:)

    ReplyDelete