Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Unspoken words

"Thank you for sparing time to be interviewed recently. We regret we are unable to offer you a position as a member of the '...' team on this occasion.

Competition for places was extremely fierce this year. The criteria for selection was not only how well each person would do as an individual, but also we needed to make sure we had a mix of subjects and interests. This is because we work hard to match those being called to those doing the calling and a range of activities is therefore vital."

So, I didn't get the job. Having being woken up rather unexpectedly yesterday morning for a phone interview, I answered each and every one of the questions asked to the best of my ability. I did however made one, and just ONE mistake but that was all it took for my name to be axed out of the list. Not realizing it at that time, I didn't give it a second thought until I got the e-mail this morning informing me that I've been 'regretfully unable to be offered the position.' Imagine my disappointment...

My mistake?

Interviewer: What do you do outside uni?

Me: Mostly, I utilize my time studying and completing my assignments.

So, there you go. The end of it. What I didn't realize at that time was of course they're looking for someone more interesting. In a job that requires you to interact with people and asking them to donate money towards a scholarship fund, you have to able to relate to them in some level or another and during a phone interview if you gave the interviewer an impression that you're a bore, how then can they expect you to talk and relate to people? I don't blame them.

Now I've missed my chance to tell them that I do have 'a background'. I have seen the world. I have done things.

I tell you one thing though, at least next time I know better. Next time I won't answer everything quite so literally. So maybe during the semester I have myself buried in my books. It really doesn't mean I don't know anything else. It's just too bad I've missed out this time around.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that you didn't get the job but at least you had an experience how the phone interview was carried out...hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. Certainly was an experience!

    ReplyDelete