Thursday, October 13, 2011

In the span of 3 years

Yet another oddity of mine would have to be that I like to write the date when I first open something new (eg. new shampoo, new lip balm, new highlighter, etc) as I like to see how long they last before they run out. 

Today (yesterday really seeing it's past midnight now), I used up the last sheet of my Clean & Clear oil control film. Behind the pack, written by me: 30/8/08 (Sat). 
While I was using up the last sheet, I pondered away (as I do). What marveled me most was not that it took me 3 years, 1 month, and 12 days to use up the 60 sheets (which I cut in half 3 years back making it 120 sheets - I think they make the sheets too big anyway), it was this: 3 years, 1 month, and 12 days ago, I couldn't have possibly imagined precisely where I would be right this exact moment and here I am now!

Funny thing is, I still remember the moment in time when this precious (and I do mean precious seeing that 3 years later I'm writing about what would have otherwise be a seemingly mundane object) Clean & Clear oil control film was first brought into my possession. Since then, it's been with me, travelling where I've traveled until the end of it's time.

Then [30/8/08 (Sat)]: 
I'm was in my 1st semester of college, doing my Cambridge A-Level. I've only been here (in college) for 2 months. It still feels like a long way before I would finish.

Since then till now [12/10/11 (Wed)]. Top 5 happenings:
1. I got accepted into the fast-track program and finished my A-Level in 18 months (instead of 24 months), at the end of 2009. I'll always treasure my time in college.
2. I got my A-Level results at the end of January 2010 and met the requirements of the scholarship body that will allow me to continue my tertiary education overseas.
3. Arrived in Perth, Western Australia on 16 February 2010 and enrolled in The University of Western Australia (Bachelor of Chemical and Process Engineering, class of 2013).
4. Being at UWA for 4 semesters so far, I dare say I've pretty much uncovered most of the mysteries of the previously mysterious (to me at least) alpha institution of education.
5. Had my first heartbreak that was certainly a lesson learned.

I've only listed the top 5 from the top of my head (the more major events I would say although there were certainly a lot more that happened in between). 

A few years ago, there were things that I didn't know/didn't know for certain would happen although I would've possibly imagined some of them. The others happened as they may as the years past. 3 years later, here I am writing about what was once a full pack of 60 sheets of Clean & Clear oil control film.

A lot can happen in a day, a week, a month, a year. A lot more happens in the span of 3 years. All this while, although I didn't think much of it when I had it, my Clean & Clear oil control film pack was always there, lurking in the background. Not that I get overly attached to objects (well, sometimes I do) but now that I'm about to throw the empty pack into the trash, I find myself filled with a rather odd wave of...sadness? Perhaps a better phrase would be "wave of nostalgia". Nostalgic! Yes, that's it. I'm filled with a nostalgic feeling that has been brought by this now empty pack. 

Farewell empty pack. You may not have thought that you'd be of any significant importance (I didn't think so then anyway) but in the end, you really were. You've inspired these train of thoughts and that alone is more than I could have ever ask for from a 2.5x3.5" object.

Significantly important empty Clean & Clear oil control film pack, you are hence forth forever (or more precisely, for as long this blog lives on) immortalized.

*Authors note: In case you were wondering (judging by the amount of times I've mentioned "Clean & Clear oil control film pack", no, I wasn't paid by Clean & Clear or Johnson & Johnson to advertise their product. *laughs*

No comments:

Post a Comment