Saturday, October 8, 2011

Year 6 lesson on % discount

Today, I got news that my year 6 math teacher (who was also my class teacher) has died a year ago. I haven't seen her for 9 years and I have to admit in that 9 years I haven't thought much about my math teacher from year 6 but hearing the news today, memories came rushing back to me. 

One memory in particular sticks out: our lesson on percentage discount.
I remember her telling us at the start of the lesson not to make the mistake (as some of her previous students have done) of thinking that if we get a 20% discount on 1 pair of shoes, we'll get a 100% discount when we buy 5 pairs (multiplying 5 with 20%), making our purchase free. All of us laughed then. Who would be silly enough to make that mistake?! You'd be surprise.

I wonder now if she remembered me. Did I do anything remotely notable in that 1 year I was in her class or was I another face in the sea of thousands of students that passed through her life? Nevertheless, I'll always remember her to be one of the two most notable teachers in my primary school (the other is my year 3 class teacher but I'll save that story for another post). 

Mdm Ooi, R.I.P. Your students will always remember you to be a great teacher. You have touched my life when I was 11 and the hearts of thousands others, I am sure. You'll live on forever in our memories.

4 comments:

  1. You met her during your chess competition when you were in form four...you were 15. So it's only 5 years and yes she still remember you and your sister:) She always asked about both of you every time I met her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear. For the life of me, I can't remember meeting her 5 years ago :( I wonder which chess competition it was. Nevertheless, I'm happy she remembered us :) R.I.P Mdm Ooi <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry...my mistakes... Not 5 but 6 years ago. When you were in Form 3...you represented the District and the competition was held at SMK Tg Rambutan. She was there to chaperon SK Marian Convent players.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the chess competition from year 9 :) Super!

    ReplyDelete