Friday, July 2, 2010

What's happiness to you?

Watched Vanilla Sky (for the first and possibly last time-too darn confusing) a couple of weeks ago (yes, yes... I know its been out ages). Despite the confusion and twisted plot, there was one memorable scene that keeps playing over and over in my head, the car scene when Julianna (Cameron Diaz) asks David (Tom Cruise), "What's happiness to you, David? For me is being here with you right now." (I might've mixed up a few words but you get the picture) Ignoring the fact that Julianna then pulls a crazy on David and crashes the car, I can't help but think about what she said. What's happiness to you?
Now, when I feel even a tiny surge of happiness or when I see it on someone else, I can't help but ask (mostly the conversation goes on in my head), "What's happiness to you? Coz heck, if this moment ain't it, then I don't know what is." Funnily enough, just this morning (just past afternoon really) I had that exact thought. My day started out by going to the bank to sort out some 'issues' (still haven't gotten them sorted as of now  but that's a different story), visited sister at the pharmacy where she works, and went over to Blockbuster to rent out some movies. Was then contemplating if I should catch the bus home (it'll be literally a 3 minutes bus ride and costs me $0.60) or walk (about 15 minutes walk and costs me $0). Decided to walk then because the day was SO beautiful (not because I didn't want to dish out $0.60). It was sunny but windy but not the freeze-till-you-die wind, just a nice, breezy, cooling wind. On the way back got myself a bubble tea (hazelnut with sago), had my MP3 blaring in my ears (yes, I'm one of the few that hasn't got caught in the iPod trend. Cbb to get one really. It'll knock me back $200 so unless I get it as a birthday present, I'm perfectly happy with my MP3), and was on my way home. 

So, there I was, bag on one shoulder, MP3 playing all my favorites, sipping away my bubble tea, nice breezy fresh air blowing in my face, when a sense of pure calmness washes over me. And then I thought, "What's happiness to you? To me it's here, right now, living the present and not worry about the future or for that matter the past." 
At that moment, nothing existed for me but myself and the surrounding (was admiring the beauty of the trees which oddly enough in winter still had a tree full of green and occasionally golden-brown leaves. Shouldn't they have shed them all during fall? Maybe the Australian trees didn't get the memo). 
I wasn't thinking of anything beside me and my walk back (well, and the about the trees not getting the memo). I wasn't thinking about the bank, about the worries of uni, about my sister, about what I have to do when I got back, about what I'll have for lunch or anything. Just me and my walk.

Then and there, for me was my moment of happiness.
To be happy,
don’t do what you like,
but like what you do.
Happiness comes not from
having much to live on,
but having much to live for.
~Author unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment