Monday, July 19, 2010

A word, a wave, a simple smile

I wrote this about 2 months ago on the last day of my first semester in uni. Life seemed somewhat bleak at that time. Maybe it was the thought of looming finals, maybe it was the feeling of 4 difficult, long months finally coming to an end. Whatever it was, I remember walking down the stairs of the library heading towards my last ever first year Engineering Mechanics tutorial feeling alone and dejected when quite suddenly I looked up and saw one of my seniors waving and smiling at me. I don't know why really but that lifted my spirits up a bit and the line "a word, a wave, a simple smile makes a difference by a mile" came to mind and inspired me to write this: 
When you see the world with a sigh
When you feel life’s not worthwhile
A word, a wave, a simple smile
Makes a difference by a mile.

It’s those littles that are so big
Will pull a man off a bridge
And now you have a second chance
To live again life’s endless dance.

And finally when the time draws near
You’ll look back to all that’s dear
Content with all that’s been achieved
To live the life that you have lived.

You’ll remember then how it almost ended
But against the odds you lived through the sadness
Because a word, a wave, a simple smile
Makes a difference by a mile.

~28 May 2010 (Fri)
Originally composed by:
                                                                                               Celastra R
So maybe life's not all that bad but yet again (cf. blog entry The POWER OF WORDS dated 21 May 2009) the power of words (or in this case the power of a wave and a smile) really makes all the difference.

There is power of life and death in the tongue. An encouraging word to someone who is down can lift them up and help them make it through the day.
~(Taken from blog entry The POWER OF WORDS dated 21 May 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment