Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Strengths and weaknesses

In light of our upcoming first ever mega project, we were told to answer these questions as a form of 'self reflection'. Bring on the questions!

Q: What your strengths and weaknesses are in:

• Solving problems

• Writing extended reports

• Working in teams

• Giving oral presentations

A: Both my strength and weakness in solving problems would have to be that I think too much, or so I’ve been told. Sometimes the problem is such that deep thinking on how to approach it is the way to go but if it’s a simple problem, when you think too much about it you’re really just making things far more complicated than they are and frankly it’s a waste of time.

Having never written extended reports before, I can’t say for sure what my strengths or weaknesses are but I can imagine my strength would have to be my flare in writing (or so they’ve worked well for my essays) and weakness is the fear of not knowing what to write, it being a report. What if I have nothing intelligent to say?

I can honestly say I’ve never had any good experiences working in teams or groups before. I remember dreading doing so in high school because in the end students had the attitude of ‘every man for himself’. Coming to university, I’m now hoping we’re now adult enough to work in a team efficiently and effectively.

Nerves would have to be my biggest weakness when giving oral presentations and funnily enough my strength would have to be not showing my nerves. I find that rather fascinating when I’ve had people tell me I looked calm and collected when I deliver my presentation when really I felt like I was sweating bullets.

Q: How you can develop your skills to achieve you goals.

A: All the ‘usual’ answers come to mind. Join clubs and societies, do volunteer work, attend seminars, etc. Basically go to places where you’ll get involve with activities and get to interact with people from all walk of life. You do after all acquire skills by interaction, not by being holed out in your room.

No comments:

Post a Comment