Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Beauty and the Geek (Season 3 Episode 2 and 3)

The casts of season 3 Beauty and the Geek
Beauty and the Geek is a reality television series. It has been advertised as "The Ultimate Social Experiment" and is produced by Ashton Kutcher, Jason Goldberg and Nick Santora.
-Wikipedia
Just this week on Monday a new series started on Star World, one that I've never heard about till now, Beauty and the Geek. It shows every weekday at 5 pm. I was really peeved because According To Jim (which I absolutely LOVE!!!) was suppose to be on at 5 and now they've moved it to 6.30 pm. Anyway, the Beauty and the Geek that they're showing is season 3 (first aired on 3 January 2007) though they have 5 seasons now. I only managed to watch half of the first episode on Monday because I wanted to accompany mum to the night market to get some vegetables. Watching the first half of it, I thought it was quite amusing really, especially the geeks. Brilliant minds but at most times totally out of place in a social environment.
The sweet-hearted geeks
On Tuesday (yesterday), I watched the whole of the 2nd episode and I thought, "Hey, I could really like this!" The show is funny, amusing, fun...just something to lay back and watch as the 'beauties' and the 'geeks' go through the challenges. On this episode, the geeks' challenge was to do a stand-up comedy and my favourite one of the day was Nate Dern's (and not surprisingly he won the challenge!). His act went something like this: "I would totally reinvent allergy. Instead of being allergic to all the small things like peanuts and strawberries, I'll make being allergic only to big things like tigers and sharks. You're walking and suddenly you get a rash...Oh! There's a tiger nearby! You're swimming and you get a runny nose...Oh! There's a shark nearby! Wait! Got a rash too...must be a tiger shark!" [Might've changed it just a little bit (maybe added a preposition when there wasn't suppose to be one) because I can't specifically remember it word by word but you get the picture] It was HILARIOUS! I think he was the only one that got the audience to laugh really hard though Mario had some positive laughs too.

Today, again at 5 I switched on the telly to watch the show. I didn't particularly like this episode. The challenges wasn't that fun to watch at all though the lesson of the day to guys probably was 'Listen when your girl talks!'. Though I don't have any particular experience in this field, I hear men tend to tune out when a woman speaks. The 'beauties' challenge on the other hand just kinda pissed me off a bit. At the end of the day what I got from this episode was the world's not bloody fair at all. See, the 'beauties' challenge was to read up on aeronautics and they had to give a museum tour to a real crowd(this doesn't bother me at all. It's what happens later that bothers me). Some did really, really well but most just didn't put effort at all, choosing to lounge by the pool under the sun while they should be studying (ironically I love their guy teammates, it just the don't-care-less-girls that makes me wanna scream!). In the end a blonde won and when she had to choose 2 teams to send to the elimination room, she chose the teams with the brunettes even though they worked really hard and the other blondes couldn't give a sh*t. Like, what the F man! What does it matter if your hair is blonde, brunette, raven, or rainbow coloured for all I care but because the other blondes had this 'clique' thing going on, the blonde that won felt like she didn't want to betray her 'blonde friends' (she's not even that chummy with them anyway) by sending them to the elimination room. Yeah, whatever. That just repulses me. I don't know what goes behind the scene. I don't know if there was something going on that I didn't know about because the producers edited (like maybe one of the brunette stole the blonde's cinnamon role and pissed her off) but what I saw on telly makes me feel like hating the show right then and there! A fair world should be one when you get rewarded for your effort but it hardly ever works like that, does it?
Well, whatever man. Why am I getting so worked up I don't even know. I suppose it's just sad to think that they'd sorta gang up like that. It reminds me that everywhere it's the same. In high school, in college, in reality tv shows...people have the same traits and mentality. You don't escape from it wherever you are.
What I'm going to say next is not about the show at all. It's just something I thought and pondered about, long before this show so don't be calling out your lawyers to sue me or anything.
In my all girls high school, the students had cliques there (surprise, surprise). Sometimes you see one sort of people just hanging with her sort of people. What the hell does that even mean? What 'sort' of people is there? I only see people. I don't have a 'clique'. I just mix around with everyone. I don't care if they're white, yellow, purple, black, grey or orange. I never see that. People are just people. Why do some find it in their fancy to categorize others based on colour, race, sexuality? I just DON'T get that! And what does it matter if he's straight or gay? It just ANNOYS the hell out of me when people make it such a big, terrible sounding issue you'd think its a world crisis or something. So, one gay guy runs for student council president and suddenly he's the gay candidate. And the other girl, the straight one...I don't hear people saying, oh that's the straight candidate. She's just a candidate running for student council president but he gets to be 'the gay candidate'. Get real man. They're both JUST candidates. So, he's gay. Well, she's straight. He has blue eyes. She has brown eyes. I have black eyes. He has a square jaw. I have a cute-rounded face (sorry, just couldn't help that one). See what they are? Facts. They're just facts. So, STOP discriminating a 'sort' of people because that's just thinking backwards. The rest of us are moving forward so get over yourself. Sorry I ranted on a bit here but just wanted to get that off my chest.
Anyway, back to the show. Tomorrow I hear the 'geeks' will be getting a makeover. It should be something to watch. I'm not totally blacklisting the show or anything. Was just pondering on the unfairness that goes on. So I'll be tuning in tomorrow (it's not that I have anything to do anyway). Off I go then. Cheerio!

2 comments:

  1. i love the show ! i have actually watched the entire season , so have fun ! (:

    ps: isn't life all about that ? discriminating people . trying to be superior .trying to belong somewhere . we just have to ride along (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo! Awesomeness! They've only just started showing it here. I'm not home atm so I'm gonna be missing most of the last few episodes (the finale as well I think). At least I got to watch the geeks' makeover...can't believe how different they look!
    p/s: True! Life is EXACTLY that...unless you're living with a saint..

    ReplyDelete