Sunday, January 17, 2010

College Journal Entry 3

1/12/08 (Mon)
How well do I take criticism?
[Elbert Hubbard]
How interesting for the centre layout to say, "To escape criticism: Do Nothing, Say Nothing, Be Nothing." Oh dear, oh my! One cannot and must NEVER do that! We should constantly be on the go. We always have to do something, say something, and be everything. As humans, we can NEVER escape criticism, no matter how hurtful and upsetting they are. The things we do and say, and who we are will always attract criticism. We can NEVER satisfy everyone. People will criticize us, whether to our face or behind our backs.

How well do I take criticism?
I do wonder if anyone (no one I know at least) can honestly say that they take criticism just fine, nothing to it! I am sure for MOST of us, if not ALL have a hard time taking in criticism but hey, people are entitled to their opinions, right? We would get angry or upset no matter how much the person on the other end tells us it's 'constructive criticism' (think of Simon Cowell and the American Idol contestants) and it's to mold us to be a better person. Well, I suppose (MAYBE) I take in criticism pretty well (on account that no suicidal thoughts come to mind). I WILL listen to what they have to say and I'll accept it with an open mind (I try). Sometimes (or most of the time) it still tends to make me upset and even a little bit angry (on bad days I might cook up a storm) but like I said, everyone IS entitled to their own opinions, even if you don't see eye to eye with them.
Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger. -Franklin P. Jones
I can't say I take criticism well-even if it's justified I'll still be affected by it for at least a day-then only can I let it go.

2 comments:

  1. siearra baby, this entry looks like from our journal "how well do I take criticism? " hihi

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is from our college journal. That's why I put it down under 'College Journal Entry 3'. 'College Journal Entry 1' explains my College Journal series...you should go take a look:)

    ReplyDelete