Saturday, January 9, 2010

Sorry

"Sorry doesn't change anything."
"It does for the person who's apologizing."
-Quoted from Jodi Picoult's Nineteen Minutes

If you said something really bad to your brother and immediately wish that you hadn't, you say you're sorry. It doesn't changes the fact that you've said it.
If a friend took credit for your work and after that she is filled with guilt, she comes to you and says she's sorry. It doesn't changes the fact that she did it.
If a man accidentally killed a kid during a robbery and after that he is filled with remorse, he tells the kid's family he's sorry. It doesn't changes the fact that he broke into a home and stole their worldly possessions and in the process committed murder, accidental or not.
So, sure! Sorry doesn't damn change anything. No matter how many times you say you're sorry, someone will always remember you said you hated her. Someone will always remember that you bullied him for that one whole year during high school when you were going through 'a phase'. Someone will always remember that you slapped her and shouted angry words. Someone will always remember that you spread nasty rumors about him and made his life a living hell.
Knowing all that, you still say you're sorry because though sorry doesn't change anything, it does for the person who's apologizing.
People apologize because it brings comfort knowing that they've made an effort to retract their actions, no matter how bad. There's no rewind button that they can press, no do-over they can request for. So, sorry becomes people's means of erasing the action.
It's at times like these, when someone tells me they're sorry, I can't help but think, "Don't do it in the first place. Then you wouldn't have to apologize for it. Doesn't changes the fact I'll remember it till the end of times (how dramatic)."
It's also at times like these when I say I'm sorry, I can't help but think exactly like what I've said above but still I say I'm sorry because I truly am.
When you say you're sorry, mean it! It doesn't changes the fact you did it but on your part, it's the small effort you take to press rewind.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry doesn't damn change anything.

    It's at times like these, when someone tells me they're sorry, I can't help but think, "Don't do it in the first place. Then you wouldn't have to apologize for it. Doesn't changes the fact I'll remember it till the end of times.



    this was taken from your text above

    if someone said something wrong and you will ignore the person for months
    even you have said to the person(your angry with) that he is a good friend.
    i really hope it was worth a friendship, siearra.

    good luck and i hope ull find happiness 1day.
    and i still admire you after what has happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing that you didn't sign off your name as I have requested (above) I can't be sure who you are and that would make it rather difficult for me to reply you, don't you think?
    The thing is this. Don't get me wrong, if I have indeed ignored you for the past...4 months? know that I don't usually 'ignore' people without reason. Anyway, I don't ignore people. If you would have spoken to me, I am perfectly capable of replying you in a civilized manner. Perhaps it is you that chose to not speak (out of guilt? I don't know). Most times I can't be bothered really. Speak to me if you want. Don't speak to me if you want. It's a free country.
    Word of advice, next time if it strikes your fancy to apologize, say it to the face...don't just let fancy gadgets do the work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One will have to read the whole post through to get what I'm saying really. You can't just take one part and analyse it straight off.
    It's not when someone says something wrong that pisses me off (everyone tends to have a slip once in a while...me included), it's when someone thinks they're giving worldly advice, trying to revamp everything like they know it all when they actually don't! It's when people still insists you're wrong (when you know you're not) with conviction even after discussion and refusing point blank to listen...that pisses me off.
    Don't have a one track mind. Try thinking out of the box every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete